A special report from Suzy Berry, Resort Manager at Wyndham Flynns Beach.
On Thursday 5th September, at our regular Wyndham ‘meet and greet’ – Owners’ Drinks event, we hosted a special fundraiser.
250 native plants, along with 18 advanced Koala Feed Trees were sponsored by the local community and Owners/ guests of the resort, and planted throughout the resort grounds. This was a contribution toward the existing Wyndham/Landcare project to regenerate Wrights Creek, and will enhance the existing koala habitat. Combining the efforts already made as a joint venture between Wyndham Vacation Resorts Asia Pacific, Landcare and the National Parks and Wildlife Service, the ultimate goal is to protect the Macquarie Nature Reserve, and the natural koala corridor by clearing all the weeds along Wrights Creek which runs through or adjacent to many properties. We are also pleased to be building ongoing positive, supportive community relationships with The Port Macquarie Koala Hospital.
A donation cheque of $250 was presented to Bob, the President of The Koala Hospital by Tony Terlecki, Project Director for Wyndham. A further $390 was raised through the sale of advanced Koala food trees which were planted on the Resort grounds. We have offered The Koala Hospital ongoing access to these trees to use as they require, to assist in caring for the local Koala population. $165 was also raised through drink sales and donations, with all proceeds going to The Port Macquarie Koala Hospital. A total donation of $805.
Port Macquarie Landcare volunteers were present as well, with tube stock plants available for $2 each to plant along Wrights Creek. This is an ongoing project and the hope is to raise $500 through the sale and planting of those native rainforest plants.
I’d like to express special thanks to:
- Alison at Greenbourne Nursery, Wauchope for the donation of 12 advanced Tallowwood trees;
- Steve Hurrell Bobcat services for the donation of soil;
- Adam from Woodvale Tree Services for the donation of mulch;
- Jay and Hem from Griddle Restaurant for the donation of $50 voucher and for sponsoring and planting a tree and;
- Ian and Deirdre Johnston from Newcastle Complete Vending for sponsoring and planting a tree.
And an extra special thanks to our WorldMarkSP Owners who sponsored and planted a $30 Koala Feed Tree
- Kevin and Pauline O’Meara
- Mark and Louise Barnes
- Suzy and Rob McLaughlin
- Chris and Henry Bergervoet
- Janette El-Fadle
- Tori, Terry and Sue Mitchell
- Perri Wills and Melissa Sacco
Thank you to the awesome Flynns Beach team for the hospitality shown on the day!