So every family event my sister-in-law Alyssa whips up beautiful, perfect individual chocolate mousses! Mint chocolate, Choc-honeycomb, top deck (white & milk chocolate) – the flavour combinations are endless when you think about it.
I’ve made many a chocolate mousse in the kitchen, but it’s always a gamble with whether they set or not – this fail safe recipe is so easy you can whip up after work, or even while on holidays, and enjoy a few hours later!
Alyssa’s Chocolate Mousse – Serves 6
- 200g good-quality chocolate – experiment with different flavours!
- 4 eggs, separated
- 300ml thickened cream
- 1 tbsp of your favourite liquor if you desire
- Melt the chocolate in a heat proof bowl over a pot of boiling water
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool for 10 minutes
- Beat the cream in an electric mixture until soft peaks form
- Beat the egg whites in an electric mixture until stiff peaks form
- Stir in egg yolks and liquor to the chocolate
- Fold the cream into the chocolate mixture in 2 batches
- Fold the egg whites into the chocolate mixture
- Spoon mousse into your serving dish or dessert cups
- Refrigerate for 3 hours or until set and serve chilled
The smooth, creamy taste just can’t be beaten! Share your favourite flavour combinations in the comments section below.