A rainy weekend in Sydney? Certainly didn’t dampen my spirits (pardon the pun) when I recently flew down for a brief getaway.
As fellow MyClub blogger Erin posted, sometimes it’s just not feasible to take week-long trips. A weekend getaway is the perfect chance to recharge, and put that smile back on your face. Skeptical? I’ve found that the express holiday feels far longer that two days, and that indulgent on-top-of-the-world feeling has far-reaching effects…
Basically, regular weekend breaks are a magnificent way to still get the most out of life – even if you are working the average 40 hours per week.
Over time, I’ve uncovered certain ingredients that are vital to a perfect weekend getaway. Read on..
- Proximity. You only have limited time, so your destination of choice needs to have an airport, or be no more than a 2 hr drive away from home. Repeat after me – your mantra is a no-fuss weekend.
- Plan your activities beforehand. Of course these aren’t set in stone, but remember, you have less time to explore and ‘see what happens’, so make sure that you don’t miss out on a must-do attraction or an event that’s on for a limited time only. Getaway to the South Pacific is a helpful website for upcoming events and attractions.
- Compromise. Discuss plans beforehand with the people whom you’re travelling with to successfully avoid any weekend-ruining arguments (that you certainly don’t have time for).
- Pack light, and remember: a no-fuss weekend. Don’t forget to check the weather …
- Your mobile phone is invaluable. Use Google Maps for navigation (you don’t have time to get lost!), or the absolutely indispensable Yelp app / website for directing you to tasty food depending on wherever you are standing at the time. Have a read of some other apps that provide a stress-free holiday experience – you’ll be wondering how you survived without them!
Now that you’ve got the ingredients together, you can move on to the ‘cooking’ (so to speak).
I’m a city girl at heart. The buzz, the events, the people, the fashion… Sydney does it very well, and is my go-to destination of choice for the express holiday.
Keep an eye out for the second part of this post, Sydney: a shopping mecca, next Friday fortnight, in which I share tips on taking a well-deserved weekend break in Sydney.
Can’t wait that long? Have a read of Donna Hay Magazine’s Little Book of Sydney Secrets to tide you over in the meantime.
What was the last weekend getaway you took? Which destinations are listed on your weekend bucket list? Have you been to Sydney – what did you think? Let me know in the comments below, I’d love to hear your ideas!
Until next time,