Life was so much simpler when I was 18. I had all the time in the world, so much so I was even bored sometimes. I could eat what I wanted without counting the calories. I could take the time doing nothing without feeling guilty because life is so short. I had no deadline, no (or barely any) bills to pay, no “real” job to worry about. Looking back, all I had was time. Time to think, time to breathe, time to spend with friends and family. What happened? Why is today different? In reality if you just stop and take a step back, you will realise that you still have time. What I have personally come to realise is – Only I can make the choice to take the time to enjoy today.
So I have decided to go back to my philosophy of choice and obey by it: “Carpe Diem” – Seize the Day – we should all live by this simple phrase that says so much about today. It is a fact, tomorrow, everything could change. So make the most of today right now. Take the precious time and make it count, doing simple things.
Here are my steps to take the time to be happy – and I shall be the first to start obeying by them:
- Breathe – Sounds silly, how could we not breathe, it is the very fundamental of staying alive. Do you really breathe in and breathe out? It only takes a few minutes to do breathing exercises, and it can change your entire day/life if you do it religiously. Try it.
- Smile – everyday – it is amazing how much difference a smile can make in someone’s life. Smile at people and smile at yourself in the mirror.
- Exercise – don’t set unachievable goals, just walk the dog, swap the lift for the stairs, walk to the Park, join an exercise group, it doesn’t really matter what you do, it just means you will help your body be happy, and as a result your mind will follow.
- Eat Food – enjoy it, don’t rush it – taste every ingredient and be thankful. No matter how short your meal time is, take the time to enjoy it and more importantly chew J bad chewing = bad digestion = stomach ache = uncomfortable = grumpy = unhappy
- Be positive – it isn’t always so simple, but one thing for sure, when you decide that no matter what happens you will make the most of whatever comes your way, it is amazing how little things just don’t get to you anymore.
- Relax – take a holiday. Stop finding excuses. Work to live, not the other way around. Your loved ones are the most precious things in life along after your health. Today matters. A few hours, a few days will suffice as long as you are having fun and sharing the time together.
So take the five minutes you need and think: How can you take the time to enjoy today? Isn’t it time you booked that next holiday?